Venezuela is safer than many other South American countries.
However, crime is not uncommon. Many windows are barred and some shops use security
guards. Lately crime in big cities has increased, especially in Caracas.
- Keep money well hidden. A money belt that sits under clothes is a probably
the best way to carry cash, passport etc.
- Split your money. Deposit large sums in a hotel safe.
- Take travellers cheques as these carry insurance.
- Expensive items (cameras etc.) should be carried and used inconspicuously
- Donīt leave luggage unattended.
- Donīt leave possessions in a car, particularly a hire car.
- Avoid walking alone late at night.
These safety tips are precautionary. Many areas are safe and most travellers
in Venezuela experience no trouble. The most important thing to remember is to
use common sense!